York Region Muslims strives for the following mission and goals:
- To foster friendships and build relationships through social interaction by hosting open houses, Eid events, cultural/Islamic Heritage showcases as well as workshops and seminars.
- To provide York Region Muslim youths with opportunities to thrive through social connections, volunteer service, mentorship programs and career pathways counselling, among others.
- To build alliances, coalitions and genuine partnerships with like minded groups by providing them support for issues that are important to them and of which we collectively benefit from.
- To create a safe, secure, peaceful, prosperous and harmonious York Region, where we all feel at home through a culture of hope, inclusion and peace.
- To replace negative images of Islam and Muslims through knowledge sharing of the contributions of Muslims over the past centuries to present day Canada.
- To foster regular dialogues to provide social contact among our collective communities for mutual learning about each others cultures, customs and religion, particularly through interfaith initiatives.
- To provide expert speakers to educational institutions, workplaces and places of worship to enhance knowledge and understanding about Islam and Muslims and our many intersectionalities.
- To highlight causes and to give back to those in need in our community and around the world through fundraising/donation opportunities and events.
- To be a source of support for newcomers to Canada, aiding in the resettlement process.
- To promote the cause of the Muslim community in York Region and advance public understanding of issues relating to the YR Muslim community.
- To reach out to our fellow York Region neighbours and institutions and help represent the ideals of Muslims and Islam.
- To identify and oppose discrimination against Muslims and all other ethnic and religious minorities.
- To encourage the Muslim community to become full partners in York Region life through local social engagements.
- To educate, engage and mobilize York Region Muslims to stand up to protect and preserve their civil liberties and those of others with courage, patience and perseverance.
- To stand for human rights, social justice and reforms where needed.
We look forward to seeing you at our events and getting to know everyone in our community. Anyone is welcome to attend any of our events, inclusive of nationality, religion, age, ability, or background. Our in-person events are fully accessible. Come out and get to know us and we look forward to getting to know you!